In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hayle like this:
HAYLE, or HEYL, a small seaport in St. Erth and Phillack parishes, Cornwall; on the river Hayle, and the Cornwall railway, 4 miles SE of St. Ives. It is a sub-port to St. Ives; and has a head post-office,‡ a railway station with telegraph, and a causeway, across the river, 1,140 feet long. The harbour is below the causeway; has commodious wharfs, and canals with flood-gates; can be entered, at spring tides, by vessels of 200 tons burden; and has two fixed lights, 81 and 59 feet high, put up in 1840. ...
A coasting trade is carried on in the exportation of copper ore and tin, and in the importation of coal, timber, and general merchandise. Steam-vessels ply regularly to Bristol. A railway, for mineral traffic, 17¼ miles long, goes to Redruth. The smelting of copper was formerly done on a large scale; and there are now steam-engine works, and iron and brass-foundries. There is also a chapel of ease to Phillack.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hayle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Penwith. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hayle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hayle, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hayle".