Place:


North Clifton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Clifton like this:

CLIFTON (North), a township and a parish in Newark district, Notts. The township lies on the river Trent, 5 miles E of Tuxford r. station, and 12 N of Newark; and has a ferry on the Trent, and a post office, of the name of Clifton, under Newark. Real property, £1, 941. Pop., 369. Houses, 57. ...


The parish contains also the townships of South Clifton, Harby, and Spalford. Acres, 5, 050. Real property, £7, 520. Pop., 1, 110. Houses, 244. The property is much subdivided. Gypsum is found. A red cliff on Clifton Hill, about a mile long, looks to be natural, but has yielded great numbers of sepulchral remains. Queen Eleanor died, in 1291, at Harby. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £176.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln The church is good; and there are a chapel of ease, two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school, and charities £27.

North Clifton through time

North Clifton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Clifton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7326

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Clifton ".