In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holton St Mary like this:
HOLTON-ST. MARY, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; 2¾ miles S of Raydon r. station, and 4¼ SSE of Hadleigh. Post town, Stratford-St. Mary, under Colchester. Acres, 837. Real property, £1, 358. Pop., 167. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £257.* Patron, SirRowley, Bart. The church is early English, has a tower, and is good. An endowed school has £30 a year; and other charities have £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holton St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holton St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holton St Mary, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holton St Mary".