In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemley like this:
HEMLEY, a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 4¼ miles SSE of Bealings r. station, and 5 S of Woodbridge. Post town, Woodbridge. Acres, 816; of which 75 are water. Real property, £1, 183. Pop., 63. Houses, 13. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and tolerable, and has an embattled tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hemley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hemley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemley in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hemley".