In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawstead like this:
HAWSTEAD, a village and a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands 4 miles S by W of Bury-St. Edmunds r. station, and was known at Domesday as Halstead. The parish, with Hardwick extra-parochial tract, comprises 2,237 acres; and its boundary-line passes through Newton church. Real property, £3,935. Pop., 446. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Bury abbey; passed to the Fitz-Eustaces, the Cloptons, and the Drurys; and belongs now to Lady Callum, widow of Sir T. ...
G. Cullum, Bart. Hawstead Place, the old manor-house, was visited, in the time of the Drurys, by Queen Elizabeth; and is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £581.* Patron, Lady Cullum. The church is of the 15th century, with a tower; was recently restored, at a cost of £1,275; and contains monuments of the Fitz-Eustaces and the Drurys, and three brasses. There are church-lands, with rental of £21; alms-houses, with £170 a-year; and other charities with £40. Bishop Hall was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hawstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hawstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawstead, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hawstead".