Place:


Haughley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haughley like this:

HAUGHLEY, a village and a parish in Stow district, Suffolk. The village stands near the junction of the Eastern Union railway with the branch to Bury St. Edmunds, 3 miles NNW of Stowmarket; was anciently known as Hagenet; was once a market town; and has now a station at the railway junction, a post office under Stowmarket, and a fair on 25 Aug. ...


The parish is cut into the divisions of Haugliley-Green, Old-Street, NewStreet, and Tothill. Acres, 2, 518. Real property, £5, 460. Pop., 987. Houses, 220. The property is much subdivided. Te manor, with an ancient castle, belonged to the Uffords, the De la Poles, and the Brandons, Earls and Dukes of Suffolk; passed to the Sulyards; and, with Haughley Park, belongs now to the Rev. W. H. Crawford. The castle was dismantled, in 1173, by Robert, Earl of Leicester; and ruins of it, incinding keep and walls, still exist. Tothill Honse and Plashwood are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £158.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is ancient; has a square embattled tower; and was recently restored. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and an endowment for four Westminster scholars, and for apprenticing.

Haughley through time

Haughley is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haughley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haughley in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7254

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haughley ".