In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hargrave like this:
HARGRAVE, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 4 miles SSW of Saxham r. station, and 6 SW by W of Bury St. Edmunds. Post-town, Great Saxham, under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 1,1 08. Real property, £1,750. Pop., 520. Houses, 98. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Bury abbey; passed to the Kitsons and the Gages; and belongs now to the Marquis of Bristol. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value. £188. * Patron, the Rev. John White. The church is ancient, and was repaired and enlarged in 1869. Charities, £22.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hargrave has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hargrave and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hargrave, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hargrave".