Place:


Groton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Groton like this:

GROTON, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; 4½ miles W of Hadleigh r. station, and 6 E of Sudbury Post town, Boxford, under Colchester. Acres, 1, 517. Real property, £3, 540. Pop., 554. House, 123. The manor belonged to the abbey of Bury St. Edmunds; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Winthorpes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £449. Patrons, J. W. Willett, Esq., and others. The church is ancient.

Groton through time

Groton is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Groton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Groton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7237

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Groton ".