In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Averham like this:
AVERHAM, a township and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The township lies at the confluence of the Greet river with the Trent, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 2 miles W by N of Newark. Real property, £4,049. Pop., 175. Houses, 36. The parish includes also the township of Staythorpe; and its Post Town is Newark. Acres, 2,646. Real property, £5,299. Pop., 237. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Sir William Sutton; who is commemorated by a curious monument in the church. ...
Averham Hall is the parsonage. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Kelham, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,435.* Patron, J. H. M. Sutton, Esq. The church is good. The monument to Sir William Sutton records that he had sixteen children; one half of whom
Ushered to heaven their father; and the other
Remained behind him to attend their mother.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Averham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newark and Sherwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Averham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Averham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Averham".