In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodford like this:
WOODFORD-ST. MARY, a parish in West Ham district, Essex; on the Stratford and Ongar railway, 4¼ miles N by E of Stratford. It has a r. station, of the name of Woodford; and it contains W.-Green village, with a head post-office.‡ W.-Bridge village, with a post-office under Chigwell-Road, and W. village and W.-Wells village, with post-offices under W.-Green. Acres, 2,148. Real property, £18,277. Pop. in 1851, 2,774; in 1861, 3,457. Houses, 631. The increase of pop. arose from erection of house s consequent upon railway communication with London. ...
The manors belong to the Earl of Cowley and E. Warner, Esq. There are many fine mansions, and numerous good villas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £779. Patron, the Earl of Cowley. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1817, at a cost of £9,000. The vicarage of W.-Bridge is a separate benefice. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £85. Sydney Smith was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Redbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodford, in Redbridge and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodford".