Place:


Holywell  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holywell like this:

HOLYWELL-CUM-NEEDINGWORTH, a parish, containing the village of Holywell and the large hamlet of Needingworth, in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. Holywell village stands near the river Ouse and the boundary with Cambridge, 1½ mile E by S of St. Ives r. station; and Needingworth hamlet lies nearly 2 miles NE by E of that station, and has a post office, under St. ...


Ives, Hunts. The name Holywell was taken from a spring which rises in the churchyard, and which, in the Romish times, was much frequented by devotees.—The parish comprises 3, 209 acres. Real property, £7, 189. Pop. in 1851, 915; in 1861, 826. Houses, 193. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester. The manor house is now used as a farm house. Numerous fragments of Roman pottery have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £528.* Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and was recently restored. A large Baptist chapel was built at Needingworth in 1 861. A building, formerly a dissenting chapel, is now a parochial school. Charities, £25.

Holywell through time

Holywell is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holywell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holywell in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7216

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holywell ".