In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemingford Abbots like this:
HEMINGFORD-ABBOTS, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Ouse, adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 2V miles W of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives, Hunts. The parish comprises 2, 990 acres. Real property, £4, 154. Pop., 518. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in the time of Canute, by Bishop Æthelric, to Ramsey abbey; went, after the dissolution, to the Pages and the Barnards; and belongs now to Miss Mitchell and Captain Douglas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £424.* Patron, Dennis Herbert, Esq. The church is ancient but good: and contains a tomb of one of the abbots of Ramsey. Charities, £18.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hemingford Abbots has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hemingford Abbots and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemingford Abbots in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hemingford Abbots".