Place:


Flixton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flixton like this:

FLIXTON, a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk; adjacent to the river Waveney and to the Lowestoft railway, 3 miles WNW of Lowestoft. Post town, Blundeston, under Lowestoft. Acres, 602. Real property, £806. Pop., 37. Houses, 8. The name is a corruption of Felix-town; and was taken from Felix, the first Bishop of the East Saxons. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Blundeston, in the diocese of Norwich. The church was destroyed by a hurricane in 1703, and is now an ivy-clad ruin; and the walls of it consist of tile and brick, and have herring-bone masonry.

Flixton through time

Flixton is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flixton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flixton, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7189

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flixton ".