In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brampton like this:
BRAMPTON, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on the river Ouse, near the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile WSW of Huntingdon. It has a post office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £7,447. Pop., 1,270. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. Brampton Park belonged to Sir John Barnard, who sat in the parliament which restored Charles II.; was the birthplace of Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty under Charles II. and James II.; and became the seat of Lady O. B. Sparrow. The mansion was mostly rebuilt in 1820; and contains some fine family paintings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a monument to Sir John Barnard. Charities, £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brampton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brampton".