Place:


Ellough  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellough like this:

ELLOUGH, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; near the East Suffolk railway, 3 miles SSE of Beccles. It has a post office under Beccles. Acres, 1, 097. Real property, £1, 687. Pop., 126. Houses, 25. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £300.* Patron, the Earl of Gosford. The church stands on a bleak hill, over-looking a fertile vale; and contains finely-carved open seats, an octagonal later English font, and a brass of 1607.

Ellough through time

Ellough is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellough, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7139

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellough ".