Place:


Edwardstone  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edwardstone like this:

EDWARDSTONE, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; on an affluent of the river Stour, 4½ miles E of Sudbury r. station, and 5½ W of Hadleigh. Post town, Waldingfield, under Sudbury. Acres, 1,872. Real property, £3, 851. Pop., 462. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Ely. ...


A cell to Abingdon abbey was founded here, in 1114, by the Munchenses; and given, in 1160, to Colne priory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £203.* Patron, Hon. H. Corry. The church has an ancient brass; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £45.

Edwardstone through time

Edwardstone is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edwardstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edwardstone, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7135

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edwardstone ".