In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burgh Castle like this:
BURGH CASTLE, a village and a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Waveney, at the influx of the Yare, near Breydon water, 1¾ mile WNW of Belton r. station, and 4 SW by W of Yarmouth. It is ancient and romantic; and has a post office under Yarmouth. The parish comprises 1,496 acres. Real property, £3,119. Pop., 458. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the kings of East Anglia; and part of it was given, in 630, by King Sigebert to the Irish monk Fursæus for the founding of a monastery. ...
A Roman camp is here, occupying fully 5½ acres, and showing features of strong construction with fine red bricks; and has been identified by many antiquaries, with the Rom an Garianonum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £400.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; was recently restored; has an embattled tower; includes fragments of Roman bricks; and is thought to have been built with materials from the Roman fort. There are a new national school, and charities £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burgh Castle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Great Yarmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burgh Castle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burgh Castle, in Great Yarmouth and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burgh Castle".