In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Depden like this:
DEPDEN, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 6½ miles S of Saxham r. station, and 7½ SW of Bury-St. Edmunds. It has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 595. Real property, £2, 403. Pop., 265. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £425.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a brass of Lady Jermyn and two husbands; and is good. Bishop Sparrow was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Depden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Depden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Depden, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Depden".