In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Culford like this:
CULFORD, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on the river Lark, 4½ miles NNW of Bury-St. Edmunds town and r. station. It has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2, 217. Real property, £1, 674. Sp., 346. Houses, 71. The manor belonged to Bury abbey. Culford Hall was built in 1591 by the Bacons; passed to Marquis Cornwallis and the De Beauvoirs; and is now the seat of the Rev. E. R. Benyon. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Ingham, in the diocese of Ely. The church was rebuilt, and its tower heightened, in 1857. A church for Culford-Heath, an outlying portion of the parish, was built in 1865.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Culford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Culford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Culford, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Culford".