In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowlinge like this:
COWLING, or Cowlinge, a parish in Risbridge district, Suffolk; at the boundary with Cambridge, 5¾ miles S of Kennet r. station, and 7½ SE of Newmarket. It has a post office under Newmarket, and fairs on 31 July and 17 Oct. Acres, 3, 025. Real property, £5, 816. Pop., 842. Houses, 176. The manor belonged to Longsword, the son of Henry II. by Fair Rosamond. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £100. Patron, Trinity H all, Cambridge. The church is ancient. There are an Independent chapel, a college-school erected in 1868 for farmers' sons, and charities £30.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cowlinge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cowlinge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowlinge, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cowlinge".