Place:


Cavendish  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cavendish like this:

CAVENDISH, a parish, with a village, in Sudbury district, Suffolk; on the Haverhill and Melford railway, 2½ miles E of Clare. It has a post office under Sudbury. a r. station, and a fair on 11 June. Acres, 3,354. Real property, £5,519. Pop., 1,301. Houses, 293. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belonged anciently to the Cavendish family, ancestors of the Dukes of Devonshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £733.* Patron, Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church is later English. An endowed school has £115 a year, and a lecture hall was built in 1869.

Cavendish through time

Cavendish is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cavendish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cavendish, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7080

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cavendish ".