In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Bergholt like this:
BERGHOLT (East), a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, and on the Eastern Union railway, midway between the Manningtree and the Bentley stations, 9 miles SW of Ipswich. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,063. Real property, £8,450. Pop., 1,397. Houses, 339. The property is much subdivided. Ackworth House is the seat of Sir Thomas Seaton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is excellent; and there are three dissenting chapels, a Benedictine nunnery and chapel, a police station, an endowed school with £70 a year, and other charities with £112. J. Constable, the painter, born in 1776, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Bergholt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Bergholt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Bergholt, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Bergholt".