In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bentley like this:
BENTLEY, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; at the junction of the Eastern Counties railway with the Hadleigh branch, 6 miles SW of Ipswich. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ipswich. Acres, 2,801. Real property, £3,725. Pop., 453. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The Tollemaches had a seat here before the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £182.* Patron, the Rev.E. R. Keene. The church is good; and there are national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bentley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bentley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bentley, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bentley".