In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Barton like this:
BARTON (Great), a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; near the Bury St. Edmunds railway, 2½ miles N E of Bury St. Edmunds. It contains the villages of Great Barton and East Barton; and has a post office, of the name of Barton under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 4,030. Real property, £4,794. Pop., 848. Houses, 200. Barton Hall is the seat of Sir H. E. Bunbury, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported.* Patron, SirJ. T. Bunbury, Bart. The church contains several old monuments, and is good. There are a free school, and four alms-houses.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Barton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Barton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Barton, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Barton".