In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrow like this:
BARROW, a parish, with a village, in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 1 ½ mile S of Higham r. station, and 6 W of Bury-St.-Edmunds. It has a post office under Bury St.-Edmunds, and a fair on 1 May. Acres, 2,665. Real property, £4,598. Pop., 1,030. Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £690.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1852. There is an Independent chapel. A school has an endowed income of £20, and other charities £60. Francis, the translator of Horace, was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barrow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barrow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrow, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barrow".