In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnham like this:
BARNHAM, a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; on the Little Ouse river, 3 miles S of Thetford r. station. Post Town, Thetford. Acres, 5,184. Real property, £2,455. Pop., 475. Houses, 87. Some tumuli in the N are supposed to mark the scene of a conflict, in 870, between King Edward the Elder and the Danes. An ivy-clad square tower belonged to the church of the extinct or incorporated parish of Barnham-St.-Martin. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Euston, in the diocese of Ely. The church was restored and enlarged in 1864. There is a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barnham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barnham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnham, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barnham".