In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badwell Ash like this:
BADWELL-ASH, or Little Ashfield, a parish in Stow district, Suffolk; 3½ miles N by E of Elm swell r. station, and 8 NNW of Stowmarket. It has a post office, of the name of Badwell-Ash, under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 1,860. Real property, £3,268. Pop., 527. Houses, 112. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £69. Patron, Miss Clough. The church is good; and there are a national school of 1861, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Badwell Ash has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Badwell Ash and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badwell Ash in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Badwell Ash".