In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheatley like this:
WHEATLEY, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Headington district, Oxford. The village stands on the Wycombe and Oxford railway, 5¼ miles E by S of Oxford; and has a post-office‡ under Oxford, a r. station with telegraph, and several inns.The chapelry comprises 970 acres, and is in Cuddesdon parish. Real property, £3,117. Pop., 1,031. Houses, 235. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was built in 1857, and has a lofty spire finished in 1868. There are an Independent chapel, endowed schools with £45 a year, and charities £55.The sub-district contains 7 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 12,517. Pop., 3,679. Houses, 792.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wheatley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wheatley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheatley in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wheatley".