Place:


Widdington  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Widdington like this:

WIDDINGTON, a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; 1¾ mile SSE of Newport r. station, and 5 S of Saffron-Walden. Post town, Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 2,028. Real property, £3,041. Pop., 409. Houses, 91. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £570.* Patron, Major M. H. Court. The church is tolerable. There is an Independent chapel.

Widdington through time

Widdington is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Widdington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Widdington, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6975

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Widdington ".