Place:


Great Warley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Warley like this:

WARLEY (Great), a parish in Romford district, Essex; 3 miles S of Brentwood r. station. It includes the hamlet of Warley-Street, and has a post-office under Brentwood. Acres, 2,793. Real property, £5,442. Pop. in 1851, 952; in 1861, 1,220. Houses, 248. The property is much subdivided. W. ...


House, W. Place, Prospect Lodge, and the Elms are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £520.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good. A chapelry, called Christchurch Great Warley, was formed in 1855, out of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes; and has its church upwards of 2 miles from the churches of the respective parishes. Pop. in 1861, 1,734. Houses, 261. The living is a p. curacy, of the value of £135,* in the patronage of Trustees. There is a national school.

Great Warley through time

Great Warley is now part of Brentwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Warley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Warley, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6962

Date accessed: 21st January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Warley ".