In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorrington like this:
THORRINGTON, a parish in Tendring district, Essex; on the Tendring Hundred railway, 2 miles NE of Brightlingsea. It has a post-office under Colchester, and a r. station. Acres, 1,930. Real property, £2,125. Pop., 424. Houses, 94. T. Hall is the seat of W. S. Frost, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to Frating. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thorrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tendring. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thorrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorrington, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thorrington".