In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Theydon Garnon like this:
THOYDON-GARNON, or Coopersale, a parish in Epping district, Essex; 2 miles SSE of Epping r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Coopersale, under Epping. Acres, 3,161. Real property, £6,512. Pop. in 1851, 1,237; in 1861, 1,095, -of whom 101 were in Epping workhouse. Houses, 217. T. Place, T. Grove, Gaynes Park, Coopersale Hall, Coopersale Lodge, Langham Lodge, Kendall Lodge, and the Rectory are chief residences. The living is a rectory in The diocese of Rochester. Value, £700.* Patron, Sir T. N. Abdy, Bart. The vicarage of Coopersale is a separate benefice, of the value of £126, in the patronage of Miss A. Houblon. The parochial church is of the 13th century, with a steeple of 1522, and was restored in 1868. Coopersale church was built in 1852. There are national schools, alms houses with £12 a year, and other charities nearly £110.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Theydon Garnon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Epping Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Theydon Garnon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Theydon Garnon, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Theydon Garnon".