In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marks Tey like this:
MARKS-TEY, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the Great Eastern railway, at the junction of the line forking to Sudbury and to Halstead, 5 miles W of Colchester. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post office under Colchester. Acres, 1,214. Real property, £2,120. Pop. in 1851,437; in 1861,396. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. Marks-Tey Hall was an ancient moated mansion, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £234. * Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Marks Tey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Marks Tey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marks Tey, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Marks Tey".