Place:


Great Stambridge  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Stambridge like this:

STAMBRIDGE (Great), a parish in Rochford district, Essex; 1½ mile E by N of Rochford, and 3¾ NNE of Southend r. station. Post town, Rochford, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,670; of which 49 are in Wallisea Island. Real property, £4,018. Pop., 363. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £750.* Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church is partly Norman, and all good.

Great Stambridge through time

Great Stambridge is now part of Rochford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Stambridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Stambridge, in Rochford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6907

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Stambridge ".