Place:


South Shoebury  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Shoebury like this:

SHOEBURY (South), a parish in Rochford district, Essex; on the coast, opposite the Nore, and 3 miles ESE of Southend r. station. It contains Shoebury-Fort, which has a post-office under Southend. Acres, 5,150; of which 4,140 are water. Real property, £2,170. Pop. in 1851, 158; in 1861, 1,502,-of whom 394 were in the artillery barracks. ...


Houses, 140. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of the artillery barracks, and partly from the opening of a large brickfield. The manor belongs to R. Bristow, Esq. Traces exist of a Danish camp, formed in 894; and some Roman weapons have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patron, R.. Bristow, Esq. The church is ancient, has been recently restored, and has a flint tower. Charities, £7.

South Shoebury through time

South Shoebury is now part of Southend on Sea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southend on Sea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Shoebury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Shoebury, in Southend on Sea and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6901

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Shoebury ".