In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shenfield like this:
SHENFIELD, a village and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands near the Eastern Counties railway, 1 mile NE of Brentwood; and dates from at least the time of Edward the Confessor. The parish comprises 2,397 acres. Post town, Brentwood. Rated property, £7,316. Pop. in 1851, 938; in 1861, 1,149. Houses, 229. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Fitzwalters was formerly held on the tenure of presenting gilt spurs at the king's coronation. Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £580.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church is very ancient; was restored in 1863, and enlarged in 1867. National schools were built in 1865. Charities, £3.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shenfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brentwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shenfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shenfield, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shenfield".