Place:


Shelley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelley like this:

SHELLEY, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 1¾ mile N of Ongar r. station. Post town, Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 600. Real property, £1,088. Pop., 178. Houses, 40. The property is subdivided. S. Hall, a Tudor edifice, is the seat of J. Tomlinson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £241.* Patron, J. Tomlinson, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1811. The rectory-house was the place where Bishop Newton wrote his Commentaries. Charities, £13.

Shelley through time

Shelley is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shelley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelley, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6897

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shelley ".