In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shalford like this:
SHALFORD, a parish, with a village, in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Pant, 4¾ miles N N W of Braintree r. station. It has a post-office under Braintree. Acres, 2, 455. Real property, £4, 880. Pop., 760. Houses, 176. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Abbots Hall, belongs to R. Marriott, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £203.* Patron, the Prebendary of Shalford in Wells Cathedral. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shalford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shalford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shalford, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shalford".