In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Sampford like this:
SAMPFORD (Little), a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; on the river Pant, 3½ miles E N E of Thaxted, and 6¼ S S W of Birdbrook r. station. Post-town, Finchingfield, under Braintree. Acres, 1, 990. Real property, £3, 878. Pop., 477. Houses, 100. S. Hall is the seat of Sir W. Brown, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £494.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire. Charities, £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Sampford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Sampford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Sampford, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Sampford".