In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chippenham like this:
Chippenham, municipal bor., market town, and par. with ry. sta., N. Wilts, 13 miles NE. of Bath and 94 W. of London -- par., 7455 ac., pop. 5192; market town, 521 ac., pop. 4495; mun. bor., 26 ac., pop. 1352; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday; stands on left bank of river Avon, here crossed by a handsome stone bridge of 22 arches. C. was formerly a seat of broadcloth mfr., but is now mainly an agricultural town, with large cattle and cheese markets and flour-mills. Tanning and malting are also carried on. In the neighbourhood are stone quarries. C. was the quarters of the Danish army in 878, when Alfred was in hiding in Athelney. Dr Thomas Scott (1747-1821), the commentator, was a native. The bor. returned 1 member until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chippenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chippenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chippenham in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chippenham".