In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rettendon like this:
RETTENDON, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; adjacent to the river Crouch, 6 miles N N E of Pitsea r.station, and 8¼ S S E of Chelmsford. It contains the village of Battle-Bridge, which has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 3, 932. Real property, £4, 715. Pop., 785. Houses, 176. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Rev. A. W. Bullen. A seat of the Bishop of Ely was here, and became a farm-house. The parish is a meet for the Essex Union hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £765.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English, in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and chapel, with tower and spire; and contains some ancient monuments. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20a year, and charities £30.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rettendon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rettendon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rettendon, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rettendon".