Place:


Radwinter  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Radwinter like this:

RADWINTER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Pant, 4¾ miles E by S of Saffron-Walden, and 6 E N E of Newport r. station. The parish comprises 3, 802 acres. Post-town, Saffron-Walden. Real property, £5, 365. Pop., 946. ...


Houses, 214. The property is much subdivided. Radwinter Hall, Bendysh Hall, and the Hill are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £566.* Patron, alternately Trustees of Lord Maynard's heirs and Rev. W. T. Bullock. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with massive tower and tallspire. There are a national school, and charities £11.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 21, 412. Pop., 5,035. Houses, 1,089.

Radwinter through time

Radwinter is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Radwinter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Radwinter, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6865

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Radwinter ".