In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newmarket like this:
Newmarket.-- market town with ry. sta., Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, 15 miles E. of Cambridge and 69½ miles NE. of London, pop. 5093; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Newmarket com. prises the par. of All Saints Newmarket, 320 ac., pop. 1364, and part of the par. of Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, and the par. of St Mary Newmarket, 250 ac., pop. 2730, and part of the par. of Exning, Suffolk. This town is famed for its race-course, races, and horse-training establishments. ...
The course is in close proximity to the town, and extends 3 miles W. Here the Jockey Club have their chief seat. Upon the Downs there are often as many as 1000 horses in training. Seven annual race meetings are held, and are frequented by visitors from all parts of Britain and the Continent, the chief "events" being the "Two Thousand," run in April, and "Cezarewitch," run in October. These characteristics have given Newmarket the name of being the "racing capital of England." A large trade in corn is carried on.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newmarket has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Forest Heath. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newmarket and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newmarket, in Forest Heath and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newmarket".