In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Southwark like this:
Southwark, parl. bor., Surrey, on river Thames, opposite London city, 1990 ac., pop. 221,946. Southwark returns 3 members to Parliament (3 divisions - viz., West Southwark, Rotherhithe, and Bermondsey, 1 member for each division); its representation was increased from 2 to 3 members in 1885. Southwark Bridge, between Blackfriars Bridge and London Bridge, is an iron bridge 708 ft. long, the centre arch having a span of 402 ft. Southwark Park, near the Surrey Commercial Docks, covers an area of 63 ac.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Southwark has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Southwark. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Southwark and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southwark in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Southwark".