In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Black Notley like this:
NOTLEY (Black), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands near the river Brain, 1 mile N N W of Bulford r. station, and 1¾ S by E of Braintree. The parish contains also the hamlet of Row-Green; and its post town is Braintree. Acres, 1, 936. Real property, £3, 617. Pop. in 1851, 527; in 1861, 489. Houses, 124. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by insufficient cottage accommodation, and partly by removal of silk-mill workers to the parish of Brain-tree. ...
The property is subdivided. Many antiquities, including copper, brass, and glazed vessels, have beenfound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £497.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a wooden spire. There are a school with £10 a year from endowment, and charities £50. Bishop Bedell and the naturalist John Ray were natives.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Black Notley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Black Notley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Notley, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Black Notley".