Place:


Mistley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mistley like this:

MISTLEY, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, and on the Manningtree and Harwich railway, at the junction of the line to Walton-on-the-Naze, and at the N boundary of the county, ¾ of a mile ESE of Manningtree; was formerly called Mistley-Thorn; commands extensive and beautiful views along the Stour and into Suffolk; is a seat of petty-sessions; carries on considerable commerce in corn, malt, and coals, from a good quay, which was much extended in 1849; and has a post office under Manningtree, and a railway station with telegraph. ...


The parish comprises 2,115 acres. Real property, £7,565; of which £52 are in gas-works. Pop., 1,539. Houses, 342. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Henry de Ramis; and passed to the Rainsforths, the Baynings, and others. Mistley Hall belonged to the De Veres, passed to the Rigbys, and to Lord Pitt Rivers; was sold, with the estate around it, in 1845; and was then taken down, to make way for extensive building operations. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Bradfield, in the diocese of Rochester. Valne, £916.* Patron, the Rev. Dr. Hayne. The church was built, on a spot about a mile NW of the previous church, in 1778. Remains of the previous church, and the burying-ground connected with it, still exist. There are a national school and alms houses.

Mistley through time

Mistley is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mistley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mistley, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6831

Date accessed: 26th March 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mistley ".