In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Mersea like this:
MERSEA (EAST), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 2½ miles WSW of Brightlingsea r. station, and 8 S by E of Colchester. It comprises the eastern part of Mersea island, and has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,857; of which 1,900 are water. Real property, £2,836. Pop., 305. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. * Patron, the Crown. The church stands on a declivity, near the E end of the island; has a commanding view of the sea; and consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and N chapel, with an embattled tower. The tower serves as a landmark, and was formerly surmounted by a beacon. There are a national school, and charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Mersea has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Mersea and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Mersea, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd December 2016
You have reached this page because John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales used the name Mersea to refer to East Mersea.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mersea".