Place:


Markshall  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Markshall like this:

MARKSHALL, a parish in Witham district, Essex; 2 miles N by W of Coggeshall, and 3 S by W of Colne r. station. Post town, Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acres, 804. Real property, £1,161. Pop., 42. Houses, 7. The property is divided among a few. The manor was held at the Conquest by Nigel, under the Montforts; passed to the Honeywoods; and, with M. ...


Hall, belongs now to Mrs. Honeywood. The Hall is a large edifice in the Tudor style; and has a portrait of Mrs. Mary Honeywood, who died in 1620 at the age of 93, and who saw of her own offspring 16 children, 114 grandchildren, 228 great-grandchildren, and 9 great-great-grandchildren. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £176.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late W. Honeywood, Esq. The church adjoins the Hall, and contains a fine altar-piece.

Markshall through time

Markshall is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Markshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Markshall, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6824

Date accessed: 17th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Markshall ".