Place:


Birch  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birch like this:

BIRCH, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 3½ miles SE of Marks-Tey r. station, and 5 SW of Colchester. It comprises two ancient parishes, Great Birch and Little Birch; and has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,069. Real property, £4,318. Pop., 940. Houses, 189. The property is divided among a few. ...


Birch Hall is the seat ofG. Round, Esq. There are remains of a small castle. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £469.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Rochester andG. Round, Esq. The church of Great Birch is good; and that of Little Birch is in ruins.

Birch through time

Birch is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birch, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6817

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birch ".