In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Much Woolton like this:
WOOLTON, a village and a chapelry in Much-Woolton township, Childwall parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles NNE of Garston r. station, and 5 SE of Liverpool; was anciently called Wolveton; comprises several streets; and has a post-office‡ under Liverpool, a police station, and a mechanics' institution. The chapelry was constituted in 1828. Pop. in 1861, 3,538. Houses, 687. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Childwall. The church was built in 1826. There are an Independent chapel of 1864, a Wesleyan chapel of 1834, a Unitarian chapel of about the end of the 16th century, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1861, national schools, a British school, and a Roman Catholic school. See WoolTon (Much).
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Much Woolton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Liverpool. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Much Woolton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Much Woolton, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Much Woolton".